Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Salon Chair Make-Over


Well this was a tough, long project! When I bought the chair off Craigslist I thought it would be so simple and easy. Everything about it was hard, or maybe I should say time consuming and difficult. 

Finding the fabric was hard. I didnt want to do black, white, tan... etc. I wanted to do something modern and fun, and I was hoping for teal. I went to three different stores before I found this one! (after we were completely done with the chair, I happened to run across some zebra print vinyl for 3yds/7.99! Thats a really good deal for vinyl, I only got 1.5 yards of the blue because It's almost $10 a yard. And now I'm wondering why I didnt buy the zebra material... oh well.

Taking the chair apart was easy, putting it back together was NOT. It took forever.... and ever... and ever! 

My wonderful Aunt gets credit for sewing the seat and the back. She is experienced in sewing and I am a beginner, and being that this is my salon chair that I will have paying clients sitting in, I wanted it to look like a professional did it. It took her a few hours, I assisted by keeping her company and agreeing with everything that she wanted to do, and helping to come up with the "plan of action" we took on this chair!


It was worth it, I love it!! FYI a brand new, basic, boring salon chair is at cheapest $120 brand new, minus shipping. I scored this beat up 10+ year old chair for what I consider to be free (I bought 3 things total, and haggled her down $100 off her asking price. She was only asking $40 for the chair so basically I consider that free) and paid around $20 for the material! Great deal, better chair in the end. Sorry I don't have a great before picture. It wasn't until we were done that I realized I hadn't taken one!! Oops!






2 comments:

  1. Maybe you could make a fun video of you or a friend going up and down on the salon chair! =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice chair! Could you show us a video of someone riding it? Looks fun!

    ReplyDelete