Thursday, November 10, 2011

Living in Chaos!



Where have I been with all my projects you ask? We have been SO busy with this little project!!

I have been wanting to take out the closet in my entry way ever since we bought the house. Now that it is winter and Mr. Handyman has some time off work (the dreaded snow days!) I thought it would be a perfect time for him us to do this project!! We talked about it, went over every detail, I found a picture of exactly what I wanted. We went over the cost, all the way down to the penny. So, we were ready to start!

11.2.11 - 11.7.11: Cut, rip, tear out all the drywall and 2x4's. I was working, expecting to come home to a mess. A "mess" is definitely an understatement. Oh. My. Gosh! (I tried to take some pictures for you to see, because words cannot describe.)
We knew we would have to move the electrical box because it was on the wall of the closet. No big deal (we thought... ) because we would already have a hole in the wall. Well, whoever built our house took a LOT of shortcuts. *I would never know this, but since Kevin builds houses everyday, he knows how they are supposed to be done.)* Long story short, Kevin had to drill a new hole in the floor, and the ceiling, and cut more drywall down to move the electrical wires. 
He then patched the walls with drywall tape and mud. I have Tuesday off and wanted to paint, so I asked him to show me how to sand it. He did.
So far we have bought:
Drywall Mud- approx. $5
Wall Texture (not in budget)- approx. $5  Total: $10

11.8.11- I sanded lightly (as instructed). I then painted with some "texture." And then with blue. *I mixed 1/2 gal of white that I had with a few spoonfuls of blue that I had to make light blue*
Now for the hilarious part. Kevin comes home and says:
Him: Did you sand the walls?
Me: Yes
Him: Uhm, it doesn't look like it. Why did you paint over it when it looked so bad still?
Me: I thought that's what the texture was for, to cover the imperfections?
Him, shaking his head at me...
So, now he has to apply more mud, sand, mud, sand, etc. until smooth. Then, I will paint those spots another coat of paint! Whew. I love the color though!!
I bought a gallon of white white paint, to paint the ceiling, the bench, the molding, and the bottom half of the walls- $10 Total so far- $20

11.10.11- I'm pretty sure I am forgetting some of the chaos, but now we are on to the bench. It is coming along great!! This has taken two days so far. *Lets not forget that we are working during the day. I'm pretty sure I have the best husband EVER!* He has the day off tomorrow, and will be finishing the bench.
Total so far- $20 My guesstimate budget was $30. There is nothing else left for us to buy that I can think of.. but I'm sure something will come up!!

So much for a little project, huh?? I anticipated us finishing this LAST Saturday. This weekend he will be in a tournament all day Saturday. I am hoping we can finish this up Sunday! Did I mention my house is a wreck!? I have swept, mopped, cleaned the dogs SO many times since we have started this and there is STILL drywall dust everywhere. I cant stand it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment